Since I'm just starting to harvest broccoli (and I'm hopeful that there will be a lot if it to come), I thought I'd show you how I'm prepping it for freezer storage and winter eating.
1) Soak it in a sink full of cold salt water. I like to let it sit there under water for an hour or so to give any bugs a chance to make themselves known :)
2) Remove the stalks (but don't throw them out!) and cut the heads into florets. This makes it easier to fit them into a steamer and really easy for future meal preparation.
3) Steam blanch the florets just until they turn color (to a brighter green) and then quickly submerge them in cold water to stop the cooking process. Don't cook them until they are fork tender - just blanch them.
4) Drain them and pack them into ziplock bags for the freezer. See how bright green they are?
5) Now, for the stalks and a few leaves...
I decided to make broccoli cheese soup which is a favourite around here :) I checked the stalks to make sure than none were woody and boiled them until they were soft and overcooked.