Monday 25 July 2011

Vigilance

Over the last few days, I've noticed a sharp increase in the numbers of cabbage moth fluttering around the garden.  I thought I had better take a look under the row cover to check my broccoli and cauliflower plants.  It's a very good thing that I did because it was like a cabbage moth convention under there!  Because the plants have grown to epic sizes, the cover was no longer wide enough to fully cover the plants in some areas, leaving small gaps near the soil for the little moths to sneak under.... and sneak under they did!!!  

What this means for me is that the Spring planting of brassicas is now finished.  Because I caught this infestation BEFORE any eggs hatched, were no larvae eating the plants.  WHEW!  I harvested every single head of broccoli and cauliflower today, pulled the plants right out and threw them to the chickens.  I managed to get 2 large baskets full (I'm guessing at 15lbs) and the whole harvest is now soaking in salt water to eradicate any critters.  I am VERY lucky that I didn't lose everything because I've seen that happen too many times to count.

I left the cabbage plants in the ground to see what happens, although I'm sure than in a day or two they will be showing signs of trouble (after all, the name of the moth IS Cabbage Moth!). 



While I was out in the garden, I dug up some spectacular potatoes for supper!  Don't those purple potatoes look incredible?  The flesh is super white and oh so tender.  I'm making a cold potato salad and a garden salad with quinoa for supper because my guys won't want to come home to a hot meal today - it's too warm and humid for that!

All in all, I was pretty fortunate today.  My plants were nearing the end of their production as it was, so things could have been much worse.  I've got a flat of seedlings growing happily in the hoop house to replace those plants that I pulled today.
  They will be producing for me in early Fall, hopefully after the moths are down laying their eggs.  With a little luck, we'll have a second flush of brassicas to enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. I wish I had read something like this a year ago! I was new to planting broccoli. It was growing so well in the spring, as I admired the pretty little white "butterflies". Later, when I picked some broccoli, I popped some into my mouth...so good. Then, I put the rest in the sink to clean, and to my horror...all these little green worms were coming out!! This year I didn't plant any! love,andrea (ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Andrea, that is SO gross!!!!!!!! I once ate some wormy store bought broccoli and it took me YEARS to eat broccoli again!

    ReplyDelete