Sunday 17 July 2011

Busy Blanching and Freezing

These were harvested Saturday morning then blanched and packaged up for the freezer in the afternoon.
  


Just like the last batch, I soaked all of it in salt water in the sink for a couple of hours to remove dirt and any bugs.  I'll take a huge sink full of broccoli and cauliflower over dirty dishes any day!

I steam blanched each batch for 2 minutes then packaged it all up in Ziplocks for the freezer.  Each packet weighs about 850g and is the perfect size for us as a side dish.


We love broccoli (especially homegrown).



3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's beautiful broccoli! I just planted some broccoli myself so I look forward to seeing the results :)

    Blessings,
    This Good Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful brocolli/cauliflower. I didn't think it would grow so well in a home garden. I remember seeing one of your posts awhile ago about row covers. They obviously worked very well. Where did you buy the covers? Is there a "brand" name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda! I bought the row covers from Vesey's Seeds here in Canada (upon recommendation of my experienced neighbour). I have seen them available at Lee Valley Tools in Canada and I would imagine if you googled it you'd find a supplier in your area. I chose the 5' wide one but I wish I had bought the 6' width because the plants are HUGE and the cover isn't really covering the row that well anymore! I chose the lightest cover with the highest permeability for light and water. Last year I grew broccoli without a row cover and I only managed to harvest a few heads before the cabbage moth took over. Just now, they are very prolific, fluttering all over the garden so I'm very thankful for that row cover! I'm going to have to do the rest of my harvesting in the wee hours of the morning to avoid them flying about and laying eggs while the cover is off. They are so persistent and aggressive!

    ReplyDelete