Today turned out to be hot and humid so that signalled me to make the first cold supper of the year! I cooked some pasta after lunch that became the base for a hearty, nutritious cold pasta salad. Served with a fresh green salad it's a very satisfying and refreshing meal on a hot day. Because I started it early, I had time to chill it before my family will be home for supper.
* potato salad
* cold cooked chicken
* lettuce wraps
* sandwich pitas or tortillas
* egg salad sandwiches
* a mixed platter of snacks (cold sliced meats or garlic sausage, cheeses, veggies and crackers)
* fruit salad with yogurt and granola
* hummus with fresh pitas and veggies
* tortilla chips with fresh salsa and guacamole
* chefs salad (loaded with grilled meat or leftover cold meat from the fridge)
The other benefit to having cold suppers in summer is that many of them can prepared very early in the day and put in the fridge to keep until suppertime. It's is a wonderful feeling to have supper totally ready in the morning so that you can relax and enjoy the rest of your day without clock watching. It never fails, I'm usually up to my eyeballs on a project or in the garden when it's time to come in and make supper :)
The possibilities for cold suppers are endless, and I'd love some suggestions - do share your ideas for cold meals on hot days!