Saturday 3 January 2015

Living Seasonally



I love this time of deep winter (remind me of this sentence in 3 months, okay?).  In summer, we're busy working outside 12+ hours/day and we don't have time for reading or hobbies but in the dead of winter, we have time to rest and pick up long neglected pastimes.  My husband loves puttering in his garage and is interested in cleaning up this old steam engine given to him by his Dad.  It works, but he's going to clean it and restore it to it's former glory.   He's keen on setting up some attachments that will be powered by it ~ the kids and grandkids will love it!  He's also been working on his vintage/antique radios (he's got a few that he's tinkering with).  There's a few woodworking projects waiting for when the mood strikes (beehives and mason bee houses among other things).   Kelly likes having a few projects on the go so he can follow his interest as he wants on any given day.  I'm exactly the same way!

As to me, I'm set on busting my stash of fabric.  My sewing machine is calling my name after a taste of recent Christmas gift sewing and there's a few things I'd like to make for myself.   As well, I'd love to spend a bit of time knitting each day to improve my skills.  I'm still a basic knitter and have yet to make anything useful from a pattern (which is something I want to change).  I've been practicing my stitches on several squares but it's high time I bit the bullet and tried to follow a pattern to actually MAKE something.  I think I'll join the knitters group at the library as they meet once per week and help anyone who needs it.  I will most certainly need it :)

I also want to get my seed/tree order in soon (early birds get the best selection) and begin some garden planning.  We have a large area that we are transitioning from grass to a food forest garden (this began with flipping sod and sheet mulching last summer).   The design plan will take some time to get right so it will be an ongoing project with lots of edits between now and Spring.

In the kitchen, there's finally time to bake more than the basics as there's no produce to preserve.  I'm currently working on perfecting sourdough bread (given my results, this will take all winter!) but I remind myself that all things worth doing take practice to get right.  I'm also having fun making recipes out of this "new" cookbook (giggle).



I picked up this little gem at the second hand book store over the summer and it's full of handwritten notes, reviews and thrifty family recipes.  It's a literal time capsule and I LOVE it!



Every night after supper, we both sit by the fire with the cats to read and watch movies (in stark contrast to summer when we're outside working until close to bedtime).   We welcome this rest now, but come April I know that we'll be sick of being indoors and we'll both be itching to get outside again (and so the cycle repeats itself).

Do you live seasonally, too?   If so, how do you spend your winter months?

22 comments:

  1. Oh, oh, oh - my husband would love to find a steam engine like that... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Indeed!
    We also work on projects in the workshop, kitchen or sewing room. One of my Christmas presents was a pyrography set so I will be practicing by making doo signs to start with.
    And today I sent off out first seed order as we started out garden plan
    happy New year
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I don't know how anyone could get rid of an old hand written cook book like that, its a keep sake, what a find!

    I would love to have long cozy winter's (well at least one anyway LOL) our climate is really so mild over winter, I would say in reality we only have 3 seasons... hot and humid (now)... warm (spring and autumn)... and cool (winter) I'm not complaining, I love the warm, but a true winter would be so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It CAN be cosy inside, but outside it's anything BUT cozy at -30C!

      Delete
  4. The knitting group at the library sounds like a great idea because it's also a lovey social outing and around other knitters you will be inspired and get help. I just started doing some crochet after not doing anything since I was a teenager and am loving it. Sounds like you bith have some lovely things planned dor some down time. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane
    www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also trying to pick up crochet, Kathy but thought it best to leave it for a bit until I master knitting as my feeble brain gets confused... haha!

      Delete
  5. Oh my Sherri what a find with that book!
    The knitting group sounds perfect. I'm eager to extend my knitting but purposely taking things slow so I can really fine tune things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Becci - I just love it. I'm using it as a guide for my food goals this year. I'd like to cook my way through it in 2015!

      Delete
  6. The book looks lovely. And a break from the outdoors is nice--especially during a very cold spell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoying some of that lovely wine you made ;) That's a good way to spend a cold evening!

      Delete
  7. "Recipes using chicken fat." Yes, please!! What a treasure you found. I did an experiment making sourdough bread by modifying an old no-knead bread recipe, and it's been working great! Been thinking of posting it, but I'm still new to sourdough bread making too, so not sure I'm really doing it right ;)
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did your bread turn out? So curious if the recipe worked for you or what modifications you made to improve it! I've been wanting to transition away from using any white flour, but haven't made an all-spelt loaf yet....

      Delete
  8. What a lovely book!

    I love hearing about the contrast of your seasons. Such a different lifestyle to ours.

    Good luck with your knitting! Im not a knitter but I love sitting and handsewing.....its peaceful and helps me process the day and my thoughts. :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, you're right - hand sewing or other hand work really eases the mind... it's almost like a meditation, really. Very relaxing :)

      Delete
  9. You make me long for winter Sherri! I much prefer Winter as ours are mild but Summer is so hot and humid here and it makes getting anything done outside very difficult. I think my partner and your husband would get along so well, he would love a project like that too. I'm in love with that cookbook, I still love my home economics one from over 20 yrs ago and get a thrill whenever I see something like your find at a garage sale or market. Enjoy the quieter season...wish I was on your side of the world right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodie, I can't imagine living in your oppressive heat - I'd melt into a puddle, I'm sure. I used to live in a more temperate climate and our winters were rarely below freezing but they were grey and rainy for many months... I think I actually prefer the winters here because in spite of the cold, it's usually bright and sunny!

      Delete
  10. Hi ~ your winter sounds very familiar to ours. We have been in the "deep freeze" here in MN. What a find- that book looks to be! The knitting group sounds great- I am going to do the same thing- just found out there is a group that meets near me. This winter I hope to make several pair of mittens from felted sweaters. I had hoped to give them as Christmas presents- maybe I'll get them made for next year! :-) Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie :) Minnesota is very cold in winter, too so we are in this together!

      I remember a day in early fall when I was so tired from all the gardening/harvesting/preserving that I actually said "I wish it was winter so I could rest". By April, I'll be totally fed up with winter, longing for garden time... The ebb and flow of seasonal living, hey?

      Delete