Thursday 1 September 2011

Settling In...

With all the hoopla in this house over the past week, I'm exhausted  .....getting back from a spontaneous vacation and unpacking/laundry, trying to get caught up on harvesting and putting up, sending hubby unexpectedly out of town for work (and all the prep and packing associated with that), a surprise engagement with a dinner celebration hosted here (all this in just 4 days).... I haven't had more than 2 minutes to catch my breath until today!

Breathe in... breathe out... breathe in... breathe out...  Today, I can say that this "flurry of activity" has finally slowed...  mercifully, thankfully, finally... I can take 2 minutes to actually sit and think about what needs to be done instead of instantly reacting in "knee jerk" fashion, willy nilly all day, lol.

My house is a disaster, but that can wait.  The garden is in overdrive still, so that is where my time will be spent for the rest of the week.  The other night saw me out there till dark picking beans, watering, weeding and dumping finished compost out of my garbage cans to prep for planting more fall broccoli seedlings (fingers crossed!).   There is much to do out there still, but I'm just thankful that we have an abundant garden that is still giving us lots of fresh organic food for winter eating.

I'm growing a little weary of garden work, as usually happens around this time of year.  It's been a VERY busy few months but it will soon come to an end and we will welcome the first snowfall as an official day of REST.  On that day, it will feel so good to see all the jars, packages and bins of produce lined up for winter.  All the work will seem worth it in the end and so we press on to finish this marathon growing session ~ one day at a time...


2 comments:

  1. Well, it looks like this winter, you can reap what you sowed! And I'm sure you have a good satisfaction for your job well done! That is one good thing about winter....you can rest from all the summer work and go indoors. Seasons are so nice to have! love,andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reading as always....as you are ending your summer of harvesting, I am preparing my summer planting of seeds....I hope to have my best garden ever this summer.

    On my mind....Community Gardens & Freecycle.

    http://justlikemynanmade.blogspot.com/2011/09/on-my-mindcommunity-gardens-and.html

    ReplyDelete