Tuesday 23 February 2016

A Thrifty Find



A while ago, I spotted this clay baker in our local thrift store. I snapped it up for a tiny fraction of the cost of a new one (which by the way is approximately $70 -$80 Canadian).   I've heard these Romertopf clay bakers are lovely for roasting and baking and I'm so happy to have it.
This particular one is very old (it's stamped West Germany!) but was unused in new condition, in the original box.  Can you imagine?




As evidenced by the sticker below - never has this clay baker seen the oven...




I've made a few loaves of sourdough in it and I really like the oven spring I get from it.  I'd like to find out from you if you've used one for baking/cooking and if so, how do you use it?  Any tips?



5 comments:

  1. I love doing roast chicken in mine, it falls apart and is so tender and moist. We arent big casserole eaters but have heard that they are great for those. Dont forget to soak in water for 1/2 hour before using

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, what a wonderful find! Love it when you find something you have on your wishlist at a fraction of the price. :) I have never seen one before, do you line it or flour it?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful things! Wouldn't be without mine. Good find there.
    Gill

    ReplyDelete