Wednesday 2 January 2013

It was a good year but I'm glad that 2013 is here



Forgive my lack of posting in December.  It's been a whirlwind of activity at our place of late.  Entertaining, house guests (and the musical beds that that entails), parties, celebrating, eldercare, babies, cooking and gifting galore!  Whew.

I can see that the calendar is clearing just like this photo (taken while peeking out at the farmer's field behind our back tree line).  Wide open white spaces...  ahhhh :)

2013 looks really good to me right now.  So much is planned for our homestead and we're knee deep in drawings and ideas for another greenhouse/chicken house and a new shed (for starters).  As we look to incorporate permaculture concepts on our land, we view things quite differently now.  No more single function structures ~ instead, well planned, multifunctional spaces reign.   Lots of work to climb this steep learning curve, though...

First up, however, is inside work while we are in winter's icy grip.  To start: a massive, month long re-organization and de-cluttering project that began today with me putting away Christmas decorations.   I inherited my Grandmother's china cabinet and I'm thrilled to be putting it to good use in our living room which will free up some cupboard space in the kitchen...  the domino effect has begun, LOL.

Kelly has been tackling the garage and it looks fantastic!  After 18 months of neglect while hubby worked out of town, it's finally looking really organized and functional out there.  So much better for working on the new projects this year.

Welcome 2013 - give us what you've got!





10 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that's a field? I thought it was a frozen lake.

    I'm looking forward to learning a little about permaculture through your blog Sherri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rose, it's an agricultural field :) The snow is about 18"-24" deep so the stubble from the harvested crop isn't visible. It does look like a lake, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to moving to our 'forever' home this year. I just can't wait. Enjoy the reorganising - I love tidying up and organising (not so much the cleaning though!) Happy New Year. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous photo Sherri!

    You certainly have been busy and I can see why you wanted the new year to arrive. Well it is here now, so let's see what is in store for us :)

    Our start to the year is an extreme heatwave lasting possibly nearly two weeks eek!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania - I don't know how anyone can survive heat like that let alone grow anything in it! You are amazing :)

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to 2013 as well. I am really looking forward to reading about the changes at your place. Remember to take lots of pictures for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been much the same in my life on the Blackland Prairie....there simply was no time to post and then, I got sick. I have enjoyed following you and your life through your blog.....may 2013 bring you and family much joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new year! Oh, you're putting us to shame over here with all your exciting plans and already-begun projects. I think we're still in recovery-mode ;)
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete