Thursday 20 December 2012

Organic Land Care and Permaculture

I'm nearly finished my Organic Master Gardener course.  What an education it's been!  Soil ecology is a deeper, more incredibly complex topic than I ever imagined it to be.  This course was far from a fluffy "grow pretty flowers" experience ~ it was meaty and challenging, loaded with technical information and plenty of ecology/botany/chemistry.  From politics, to agriculture, to health, to ecosystems and back again, it was a ride I'll not soon forget.   It quite literally blew my mind and has broadened my view on many global topics in addition to giving me a solid knowledge base for organic growing.  I'm certainly not an expert, but at last I feel that I have a foundation on which to continue my studies (and a hefty list of topics to further study).

I've spent the better part of 2012 reading about Permaculture and I'm hooked in a way that keeps me up at night...   The more I read, the clearer it has become - I NEED to take a Permaculture Design Course.   Permaculture is a field of study that can only be read about for so long before one must be taught in person.  There's no substitute for seeing the techniques and design elements in action and working alongside fellow students with a knowledgeable, experienced instructor.    I'm beyond thrilled to now be registered with Verge Permaculture for their 2013 PDC.

I'm really eager to take things to the next level on our little piece of land and perhaps even carve out some work in this field at some point in the future...

Stay tuned ~ I have a feeling that 2013 is gonna shake this place up in a really big way!




4 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting . I bet you can't wait to start the course. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like my year! I've been learning so much about soil, it is amazingly complicated, and NPK fertlisers just won't be enough on our farm. I've also been reading every permaculture book I can get my hands on. No time to do the PDC anytime soon, but lots of ideas to try on our property. I look forward to reading more about your discoveries....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Liz :) Have you read Gaia's Garden? That's an excellent user friendly permaculture book to get ideas implemented, although perhaps not as geared toward farming per se...

      Delete
  3. I am so excited for you, I attended a Love Food Hate Waste Course a couple of months ago, and it has literally changed my world, I can "hear" the passion in your voice, because I too felt it after my course. (And still do!)

    Well done, I look forward to reading about your journey!

    ReplyDelete