Monday 13 June 2016

Surplus to Needs

\

Over the years, I've collected a lovely selection of reference books on local plants and animals. These books have been well thumbed through and even have some dirty prints gracing the pages as I'm usually covered in garden grime when I reach for such a book!  Nearly all were bought used for a dollar or two and some were given to me.   These books have now turned me a small profit as I sold them as a lot last night to local naturalist/gardener for $25.00  This was a great deal for her as the new value was several hundred dollars but good for me too as I've recouped my cost with a wee bit extra.  




This my friends, is a snow rake.  Have you ever seen one?  It's a very long tool with a plastic scoop at the end.  Believe it or not, when we get heavy snowfall (especially over a few days), the accumulation of snow on the roof can be too heavy for the roof trusses!  We might hear groaning and creaking (under the snow load) which is the signal to get rid of some of that snow.  Climbing up on the roof is no fun and definitely not safe (especially not in -30C with a howling wind out of the north), so this handy tool means you can easily reach up onto the roof and "pull" snow down.  Those of you in warm climates night get a kick out of that :)





I'll not be sorry to never see this beast again!  It's loud and obnoxious but super effective at moving a lot of snow.  We would not have easily lived here without it as drifting snow can easily be 4' high (or more) in certain areas.  Think about the snow rake again....  did you wonder where all the snow from the roof gets dumped?  Yup.  Right next to the house where it falls!  Many hundreds of pounds of snow launched right near the house is NOT good for access (and flooding when it melts), so it must be moved a second time.  Enter SNOW THROWER.  The new owners of this house have agreed to buy it from us (and they'll need it!).

Onward we proceed with sorting and purging.  We don't have a lot of clutter, but there are tools and equipment we won't need in a warmer climate so we've been listing items (and selling them) every day.  I think we've made about $1,000 so far which will come in incredibly handy to defray moving costs.  






7 comments:

  1. I've come to the conclusion that most books that I own only have a couple of pages that I use regularly....prob's worth my while copying just those bits and 'moving' the books on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean... it would be a worth while project to do that and in the process, imagine the resource you'd create (in a binder or scrapbook) :)

      Delete
  2. our snow rake and plow save us many hassels in the snowy regions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are very specific tools that you can't do without in snowy climates!

      Delete
  3. I'm moving again in a few months and beginning to purge/declutter now. I've been going through books and filling a box of unused/rarely used ones to take to a market that will be run by a local club in a couple of weeks. I'm sure I can also find a few more surplus to needs requirements that can also be passed on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn. Moving is such a pain, isn't it? The good part is the decluttering. While difficult, it's worth the effort. Life changes and we change...

      Delete