Wednesday 29 January 2014

Seed Catalogue Seduction



This is a very inspiring time of year for gardeners with seed catalogues arriving in droves through the mail.  As we are currently in the depths of winter (with snow on the ground to boot), we aren't remotely NEAR time to start seeding for the 2014 garden but it IS time to start ordering seed!  I like to buy heritage seed that hasn't been genetically modified, so it's really important to buy early while selection is good.  

I started buying from Heritage Harvest Seed last year and I'm EXTREMELY happy with both their seed and their service.  My order came quickly and the seed all had a very high germination rate which is very important to me given our short season.  We don't have a lot of time to re-seed if a crop fails to germinate.  The clock is really TICKING here with only 3 months of reliable frost free growing!  I especially like this company's dedication to preserving the stories behind the seed varieties which is such an important part of our nation's history as well as our little region's history.  Their site is easy to navigate, too so online ordering is a snap.  Do pay them a visit!

I also bought seed from Harmonic Herbs last year and was equally impressed with the service and quality of seed.  I discovered this company at Seedy Sunday in Edmonton last year and was pleased to meet the owners (both very kind people who know a LOT about seed and growing in our cold climate).  I highly recommend them, also!  




I've had a good poke through my seeds saved from last year and I culled the older ones today.  Not to waste them, I have seeded them in flats in the garage to feed to my hens.  Thanks to Suzy for this idea!   I saved quite a bit of seed myself last year (for the first time) so I'm pleased to have less to purchase for this growing season.  

On a side note - cool wooden box, hey?  I was lucky enough to receive a few of them on free cycle last year.  They have come in very handy (one stores our homeopathic remedies alphabetically, this one is for seed and the last one is in the garage for hubby).






8 comments:

  1. Hee hee - seduction is definitely the right word for those catalogues :) Can't wait to see your garden this year!
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so tempting to spend hundreds of dollars! LOL. Are you putting a garden in this year? it's a difficult time with 2 little ones... maybe just a small kitchen garden would be doable?

      Delete
    2. Yes! I'm going to do my best for a garden this year, but you're right, it's hard with the babies still so young! Last year, I had this patch of dirt right outside the front door (next to my herb bed) that I planted out with my little girl. It was surprisingly productive for such a little space - lots of lettuce, carrots, peas, radishes - so I'm definitely going to try that again :)

      Delete
    3. P.S. I count seeds as part of my grocery budget ;-)

      Delete
  2. We will be starting a vegetable garden completely from scratch when we move to our new house in a few weeks. I am definitely going to buy heritage seeds and have luckily found a good supplier who is passionate about her product. We may not do any more than prepare the ground this year as we are starting with a large patch of mountain grass in which to create veg plot. Can't wait to see what you choose. It must be really hard with such a short growing season. We are usually frost free from May until October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your move is coming up fast! It's very exciting to start from scratch and you are SO WISE to be thinking about prepping the soil first. The hope and promise of a new garden is very inspiring and I wish you many abundance harvests :)

      Delete
  3. Oh how I love my seed catalog from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I've also saved seeds from last year....

    ReplyDelete